Wednesday, March 24, 2010

T-shirt Recons and More!

Okay, I  know that I promised you pictures of my projects forever ago. I was waiting for some photography help, but we keep forgetting, so here's my attempt to show you. It all began with this year's clothing shopping planning. We buy clothes once a year (with our income tax return) and so I wanted to make some wise, long lasting decisions. What kind of clothes would be the best choices for a stay at home mom? I really don't need dressy clothes or professional clothes, but I also didn't want to look like I don't care at all. So, what to buy? I considered buying a classic ten piece wardrobe, but that seemed like it would be a little impractical for me. What do other SAHMs wear? Most days, I wear jeans and a t-shirt. I am a little tired of jeans and t-shirts, but they're comfortable and they wash well and hold up to the millions wash/wears I put them through. Then, I got to thinking that just because they're casual and comfortable, doesn't mean that they have to be ugly and frumpy.

Well, thanks to a bunch of lovely blogging ladies, I found some great tutorials on turning your plain jane shirts into lovely shirts. My first attempt was to turn my $2.50 long sleeved shirt into a cardigan. My inspiration came from here and here. Not bad if I do say so myself.



In case you are wondering, every shirt I bought, I bought in duplicate so that I could have more jersey to work with.



This one I knew I had to do when I saw this tutorial!


These are just the three that I've finished so far. I have three more that I have to do yet. I feel just a little bit better about my jeans and t-shirts, now.

In other sewing news... I finally purchased this pattern that has been on my wishlist for quite sometime. I am making one as a present and so I figured I had better do a practice one first. Besides, it was time for a new purse for spring. This is "Thelma's Day Out" by Janelle Wind. Love the design! The pattern... well, let's just say that it should've been classified as a tutorial and not a pattern, but I love the final result and that's what matters. I had this lovely bag out already and have had lots of compliments including "I was going to ask you where you bought your bag and then remembered that you were a crafty person and probably made it." Soooo flattering!




And finally, I made this ruffle apron a long time ago, but hardly ever used it because it was only a half apron. I made the most mess on my shirts and so I need to use bib aprons for them to be of any use. So, I added a little ruffle bib and voila! my fun 'new' apron.

2 comments:

Evelyn in Canada said...

I love the t-shirts! I need to start sewing again before I get dirty in the garden.

Patty-Jean from LittleQuiver said...

WOW - WOW - WOW - so when are you publishing your book, your book on upcycling or re-inventing your wardrobe?