Monday, August 17, 2009

Precision Cutting!

I ordered this diaper fabric calculating that I should get 16 medium diapers out of it. With some serious math calculations and intense measuring David managed to get not only all of my medium diapers, but also all of my large diapers out of the amount I purchased! He saved me $160!!!

He measured out the height of the pattern and tacked a piece of yarn into the floor to use as a straight edge. He did this on both sides.

He then used my rotary cutter and cutting mat to cut along the yarn line, moving the mat four or five times to cover the entire width.

PUL is slippery and so he worked with great care to make sure that the strips were straight and not moved at all.

In the end he had about 1/2 inch of PUL to spare. Now that is precision cutting!

In case your wondering, I got the fabric here and I am using this pattern.

3 comments:

Evelyn in Canada said...

Math really does get used in real life. Who knew? Well done, David!

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet of him! My hubby usually tries to not get involved in my sewing. :o)

Patty-Jean from LittleQuiver said...

WOW-WEE!!!!

Sewing PUL for the first time with the scraps you so generously gave me - I find it sometimes difficult to sew with. Would love to know any of your secrets for sewing PUL!!!?