Friday, June 19, 2009

cloth diapering



Okay, so I've been cloth diapering Abigail for about 2 months now. I am a part time cloth diapering mom, as I use disposables when we go out, but I am loving it. Okay, so I thought I'd write a post with some thoughts for anyone who might have questions. First off, I'm going to send you to Simple Mom's blog, because there was a great series of posts on cloth diapering with great FAQs and reviews, so check it out!

I sewed my own cloth diapers (or more accurately, my mom and I sewed them - thanks, Mom). I used this pattern and got fabric from here. We have been working off of 17 size small all in one diapers. In my opinion, these are as easy as disposables with the exception of doing an extra load of laundry every other day. I do find that Abby soaks through at night and so I use a diaper cover at night, though I might try a doubler in the future. As much as I love these diapers, I didn't want to sew more (I'm a creative sewer, not one of necessity). I did some research a found a WAHM business and ordered 20 one size pocket diapers. Much drama later (I won't go into it all here) I finally got them. My first impressions? I should've sewn my own. Not all home businesses are good or good quality. I also don't like the sagginess of the one size sized down to Abigail's size. Grrr! If I could do things over again (and maybe I will for our next baby) I would stick to sized all in one diapers. Now I have 20 diapers that I need to make work for the duration of Abigail's need of diapers. My beef with one size pocket diapers - they are saggy in the crotch area, the insert shifts and leaves her vulnerable to leaks - yuck! There are many good arguments for pocket diapers... less drying time, re-use the cover and just change the insert, less diapers mean less cost, but I just don't like them. I am hoping that I get used to them and don't forever regret this purchase.

I am still really happy with my diaper pail liner in my diaper genie. I just sewed a simple bag with an elastic opening that I slip over the old refill ring for the genie. It works great, though I am thinking of putting a zipper in the bottom for easy emptying.

Moral of the story: Cloth diapering is great, but you need to find the system that works best for you and not everyone else - ask lots of questions and maybe try something like the "test the best" program.

1 comment:

Patty-Jean from LittleQuiver said...

I love your diaper photo! i dunno theres just something lovely about cloth diapering...many wouldn't agree - especially when you are scraping caca into the toilet....but with some flushable liners - it actually, somehow feels more luxerious than disposable diapers?!